With the Canadian federal elections last month and the U.S. presidential election just yesterday, there has been so much talk about politics that I can't avoid it. Now I'm not someone who follows politics because from how I see it, the government is corrupted already; however, we vote for the party that will do the least amount of damage while being hopeful that just maybe some changes will occur once they come to power. But you know what? It's so much more than that. During these past few days, the reality of it all is starting to sink in and it's becoming clearer than ever to me that the line between right and wrong seems to be fading away. Truth is relative, not universal are what many are saying while others believe that there is no such thing as truth.
Then there's the issue of the mass media. With the advances of technology comes media influence. Because I major in Communications, I'm constantly analyzing and critiquing the media and how it affects the ways we think and behave. And suddenly, the newspapers that were deemed credible back in elementary school become biased pieces of paper exerting its own views upon the general public. Like rumours, you can't believe everything you've watched, read and heard on the Internet, television or perhaps the radio. Oh and please don't get me started on Oprah - I've had one too many discussions about her in my classes. (But you know, if she ever decided to run for president, I bet she could; her whole empire would support and vote for her.) Anyway, my point is, please do careful research, be critical and read between the lines, you may be in for a surprise (or become more cynical like me :D)
More discussion on the Internet later!
Wednesday, November 5, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
The past presidental election were totally... WOWOWOW to me and I must say, I am proud to have been a part of it.
Whaa good luck with your elections. The media has a way of twisting things to how they want, something we can't change.
BTW, Miss you ^^~
I've never been very excited in elections but I guess Obama winning for the US was a good choice? ~
BTW, I've changed my blog link to partydiamond.blogspot.com ~ blog stll remains the same =DD~ Will tell you if I change it again
The change is because... *thinks* more people have been linking out my blog and I feel quite "..." about my previous blog title XDD
Post a Comment