Monday, November 3, 2008

Penny for your thoughts

This morning as I sat up in bed trying to open my eyes, a voice in front of me joked, "Wow, you look like a hobo" and in response another voice chimed in, "Hobos don't have beds"... and it's true for many out on the streets. Every time I walk along the sidewalks of downtown Vancouver, I'm reminded of this issue and how homelessness will triple by the 2010 Winter Olympics. I often find myself quickly glancing away as someone on the street corner raises their plastic cup asking for spare change and after, feeling guilty about doing this. I once read about a girl who would bring granola bars with her and offer them to people who'd ask, which sounds like a workable plan, and a better response. As winter approaches, what these people need are food and shelter more than anything else. There are other ways to help such as making monetary or clothing donations to charitable organizations, or serving food at soup kitchens such as Salvation Army or Union Gospel Mission. From my past experience, I found that helping to serve food really is an eye opening experience. The same people who look tough and hopeless on the streets become joyful, appreciative guests. It's amazing to see them letting their guards down as the volunteers and staff wholeheartedly accept them. I'll probably be going again this year; anyone want to come with me? I guarantee that you'll be smiling by the end of your shift... I know I was :)

1 comments:

Bego said...

Jan!! Thank you for your encouragement =) ~ Sorry I haven't been commenting much lately! Will do so after finals =)...

I have 5 papers in total for my final exams (3 hours per paper =.=)~ I have 3 papers this week, (1 down, 2 more to go - tomorrow and Friday), 1 more paper next week and my last paper (accounts) will be the week after that :DD~

Wow, I've never thought that serving food could make that great impact but it looks like I'm wrong. Glad that you had a great experience too :D. I think I should get myself involved in activities like these...

Anyway, gotta get back to studying D: ~ Take care, Jan!!