Wednesday, July 1, 2009

The Brother I've Always Wanted

Meet Paul Oppa~

Don't allow his outer appearance fool you. Underneath his cute, so-called "manly" exterior is a guy who deeply cares about his dongsengs.

When I arrived at Incheon airport last June, we had a bit of a mix-up. We had exchanged photos online so that it'd make things easier for the both of us when he would pick me up. Strangely enough, I stood outside the arrivals gate for over 15 minutes wondering if he was late. Later he told me that he had gotten there a 1/2 hour early and had seen me walking out but because I was skinnier than in the picture, he dismissed me (evidence that cameras adds on 10lbs!)

Just the other day, I was looking back at the messages I had written everyone a day before we left Korea and a sad smile formed on my lips. Oppa was the older brother I had wished for, and I don't believe our meeting was just a mere coincidence. Little did we know at the time that we'd all get so attached to him and he to us. We could feel him pulling away during the 2nd to last week of our stay but the last week was all to be spent with him. He even began speaking in 3rd person using 'Oppa'

I'm always thankful for him, he cares for our well-being and is genuinely interested in what goes on in our lives. A lot of time his discontentment or love that he shows is subtle but we all know he secretly cares a lot about us. Last time it was "I think you should find someone who goes to university because they'll speak more English" and then it was "You should sleep more for your health".

Honestly, I'm not sure when I'll see him again but what I know is that he is one of the few people that I'm willing to go back to Korea just to visit. We don't get to chat often now due to the busyness of our schedules and the time difference but when we do get the chance to, I really cherish our talks. I'm so proud of the person he has become in the past year and wish him all the best in the upcoming one.

오빠~ 생일축하해요 ^^ 보고 싶어요!

1 comments:

Resa said...

SHOOT... I miss Oppa a lot T.T