Saturday, January 24, 2009

Excuse me, can I ask you a question?

Why?

During my skytrain ride downtown yesterday, a couple came sauntering in a few stops into my trip. Gradually, a conversation erupted throughout my section as the passengers around me discussed how they were stuck in a train for 1.5 hours because of someone who had wanted to jump onto the tracks. This is the second time I've heard about these incidents this week and it saddens me that people think that killing themselves is the best solution to their problems. Now I don't know what they're going through or how much pain they're suffering from but I want to know, is life really not worth living? As I listened to the opinions being expressed by others, a young man began telling of how his good friend threw himself onto the tracks years ago. He had gotten drunk in his depressed state and decided to end his life. I sat there dumbfounded and upset by what I was hearing when a comment made by the man interrupted my thoughts. He asked, "Why can't we all just be happy and live life, right?" Often times, this is more easily said than done but I hope that when you're facing hard times, you'll find someone to talk and share your troubles with. No one needs to go through obstacles alone - Remember, I'm here and just an email/text/call away.

Once again, I'm thankful for these little reminders to not take life and the people around me for granted. Thank you for those who have stuck by even when I've been a horrible friend. I am so blessed with such amazing family and friends ♥

1 comments:

Resa said...

Aw that saddens me when I hear things like that. Same goes for you Jan... if you need someone to talk to... you know that I am here for you <3